The 1/2 mile wood oval Akron-Cleveland Speedway was located just north of the Ascot Racetrack on OH State Rt8. It was in the former Northampton Twp. about 7 miles north of Akron and 30 miles south of Cleveland. The area is now part of Akron's Ascot Industrial Park. The track, built by Paul Turtin, operated from 9/06/1926 to 9/28/1930 utilizing a wooden track with 45 degree banked turns. It only had one national race, the AAA Nat'l Championship on 22 June 1930, which was won by Shorty Cantlon. It closed three months later, an early victim of the Great Depression. Five years later, there was no trace of it left. The wood that held some of the fastest cars of the time was scavanged as building material or firewood.